Red light therapy for hair loss is gaining more and more interest nowadays. The fact is, great hair continues to be one of the most attractive features a person can have. In women, healthy, thick hair is a sign of fertility, youth, and femininity. In men, it contributes to facial symmetry and is an indicator of great genes.
Your hair can boost your self-confidence and affect the way you are perceived by others, for better or worse. However, there are also many factors that can contribute to hair loss. Red light therapy for hair loss devices can help mitigate some of those effects. Today we will explore red light therapy for hair loss devices and treatments and how Red Light Therapy (RLT) could be the solution to all your problems.
What Causes Hair Loss?
There are several reasons why hair loss occurs. Some of the top causes are:
- Hereditary Hair Loss (Androgenic Alopecia): This type of hair loss is caused by the genes you have inherited from your parents. It is called female pattern baldness in women, and it typically presents itself in the overall thinning of the hair or widening of your part. In men, it’s called male pattern baldness, and it typically presents itself as a receding hairline.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common cause of hair loss. At times, stopping birth control can create a hormonal imbalance that can also result in thinning the hair.
- Cancer Treatment: Chemotherapy or any form of radiation treatment to the head or neck can result in losing your hair very quickly.
- Haircare: Hair dye, photo tools, and hair relaxers can be very damaging to the hair follicle and can result in hair loss
- Alopecia Areata: This is a disease that occurs when the immune system attacks hair follicles and results in causing hair loss. This can be observed on any body part, including eyebrows, inside your ears, eyelashes, and more.
- Age: At a certain age, hair follicles stop growing hair, and the hair on the scalp begins to thin
Red Light Therapy For Hair Growth and Baldness: Does It Work?
What is Red Light Therapy For Hair Loss?
Red Light Therapy, sometimes called Low-Level Light Therapy (LLT), exposes the skin to low levels of red and infrared light to treat skin conditions, including chronic hair conditions such as Alopecia. This treatment irradiates photons into scalp tissues, the results in stimulating hair growth. This form of therapy has become so popular because it is far less invasive than hair transplant surgery.
Prescription drugs are becoming less used due to their adverse side effects. The most common medications used for hair loss are Minoxidil and Finasteride. It has been reported that Minoxidil can cause chest pain, elevated heart rate, weight gain, and lightheadedness. Finasteride can cause loss of libido, inability to orgasm, and dizziness. We want both safe and fast results in this day and age – luckily, Red Light Therapy is available.
How Does It Promote Hair Growth?
Red Light Therapy treats hair loss by irradiating photons into scalp tissues. An LED light therapy device emits safe, concentrated wavelengths of natural light to your scalp without excessive heat and UV rays. Red Light Therapy (RLT) stimulates the mitochondria – the cell’s powerhouse – where cell energy is created. This results in the body increasing circulation and promoting hair growth. Red Light Treatments can increase hair count, hair density, and hair thickness.
Evidence-Based Benefits About Red Light Therapy For Hair Loss
- This 2014 study conducted on 47 women with androgenetic alopecia concluded a 37% increase in hair growth.
- This 2017 study on women found over a 50% increase in hair count in the women who received Red Light Therapy treatments.
- This 2018 study concluded that Red Light Therapy is an effective treatment for male pattern baldness.
- This 2019 study on male pattern baldness men concluded that Red Light improved dermal papilla cell function.
What Are The Benefits of Red Light Therapy?
- Safe and non-invasive way to promote hair growth
- Stimulates Adenosine Triphosphate resulting in more energy activity within the hair follicle
- No adverse effects compared to prescription drugs
- Collagen production – Collagen is an antioxidant that fights damage caused by free radicals that can stunt hair growth. This results in increased hair growth.
- Helps improve skin texture and speed up healing time for most injuries
What Are the Effects and Risks Associated with Light Therapy For Hair Loss?
- Temporary redness of the scalp
- Several sessions are required to notice considerable results
- Not 100% effective
Red Light Therapy (RLT) is an excellent non-invasive way to treat hair loss. This form of therapy is safe and effective. With long-term treatment, patients can expect to see significant results. Red Light Therapy is a pain-free way to approach hair growth without adverse side effects. Before beginning red light therapy, it is essential to consult with your doctor or a board-certified dermatologist to ensure that this is a safe option for you.